Sunday, December 13, 2009

Allie's Dream

Today I saw a dream come true. Eight years ago my dear friend Allie left a comfortable administration job to re-train as a dance teacher. It wasn't the easiest or most obvious thing to do, but she did it. A dream had captured her heart; to open up the world of dance to young people with special needs. Kids who wouldn't normally get to dance. And that's what she set out to do.

She now teaches dance in special schools and runs after-school dance classes for special needs kids. Today was her first ever end-of-year performance. A real show, in a theatre, on a stage, with lighting, sound, and costumes. A two hour show involving 30 students of various abilities. I wish I'd had my camera, but I didn't, so I'll tell you what I saw.

A little girl who inched her way to the front of the stage and couldn't stop smiling and waving to her family everytime she was on... and it was no ordinary smile... her whole face smiled.

A young man who captured the audience whenever he was on stage, who danced like he was born to dance, as if there was nothing else he'd rather be doing in the world, and who made us forget that every move was done with a huge amount of concentration and effort.

A girl who danced like a firecracker, who fizzed and sparkled and glowed. And never stopped smiling, an infectious smile full of the joy of being her.

Kids who may not have been able to run or climb easily, but who could move instinctively to the music, who could understand the story in the words, and who loved showing us that story with their arms, their hands, their fingers.

But more than anything, kids who in dancing found themselves, who were happy to be themselves, who in that moment were so happy to be in their own skin.

And I saw a friend in her element, living out what was in her heart. A friend whose dream had come true. Who in that moment was so happy to be in her own skin.

I want that moment for myself. I want to live out what's in my heart, I want to see my dreams come true. I want to be completely happy to be in my own skin. Don't you?

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much my friend, your beautiful words have touched my soul. And I love that you get me... so completely... you understand. Love you lots, Allie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idoya, because of your ability to encapsulate last Sunday's Concert into words so perfectly, thank you - I've just had the pleasure of reliving the magic of that wonderful Show!

    For the past 3 years, maybe 4, I've witnessed Allie's dream unfolding, through her patient care, foresight and skill, and something magical happening so beautifully through the children she works with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you both.... it means so much to me that what I've written does Allie and the children justice... it's a story that deserves to be told... there was so much more that I wish I could have put into words, the kids are so so precious, and Allies heart is so big. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a most heartfelt post. Doya, you write so beautifully :-)
    I hope to meet Allie one day. Allie, you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete