I would have started this post with a photo. If the camera was charged up. The camera hasn't been charged for nearly a month. Finally today I thought, "that's it, I can't bear it any longer"and I went to find the charger. Problem is, I couldn't find it. I looked in several obvious places, but no joy. It does have a home. It usually lives there. But somehow, sometime since the camera was last charged, it has got seriously lost.
I don't like losing things. It makes me feel like my grip on reality is not as tight as I'd like it to be. It seems to be happening more and more often. I could blame it on my age (which most of you would scoff at) or I could blame it on chaos. To be honest with you, I think it's the chaos.
Chaos is entirely, exactly the right word for the state of mind and state of life I repeatedly find myself in. Chaos is the tiredness that threatens to overtake me at the moment, the result of two weeks of living in the land of sickness. Chaos is the washing piled up on the couch waiting to be folded. It's the baskets of folded washing in the hall, waiting to be put away. (First there was one basket, then there was two, "that's got to be a good thing, hasn't it?" I said to Paddy. "One basket of clean folded washing is a good thing, therefore two baskets of clean folded washing is even better?" He didn't laugh.)
I've just put Abigail up on the dining table bench that sits under the window. I knew she'd like to look out, and I thought it might buy me a few more minutes here. I pulled up the blinds for a better view and noticed that the window is covered with patches of that lovely combination of dirt and mould that happens over winter. That's chaos. So is the filing waiting to be done in the study. Ditto the bills waiting to be paid. Our tax return, quite rightly, should come in about here, but it's not even on my radar. That's chaos.
Chaos was reigning this morning in the girls' bedroom while I was sitting on the couch reading because I was just too tired to do anything else. I could hear Abigail pulling down the boxes of toys off the shelf and tipping out their contents over the floor. A sickening sound of hundreds of blocks cascading like a waterfall onto the floor. Meanwhile, at the same time as Abigail was busy tipping, Isobella and Greer were busy playing with everything else in the bedroom not already tipped out by Abigail. By the time they ventured out (believe me, I was not going in there!) Abigail had been dressed in Isobella's skirt and t-shirt, and she looked just like a walking doll.
That was the moment you would have seen a photo of, if I hadn't lost the camera charger. You would have seen Abigail, all sixteen months of herself, toddling around in an over-sized t-shirt and skirt looking hilarious. I wouldn't have taken a picture of the floor of their bedroom, which was literally covered, because the floor was not the point. Yes, I did get a bit grumpy in the tidying up process, and yes it was a team effort, which I could have done without, but it got done eventually, and we were none the worse off for it. Well actually, to the contrary, we were better off because of it. That half hour of chaos in the bedroom gave me a blissful few moments alone, and the end product was a sixteen month old in six year old's clothing, which had us laughing all day.
You see, I've come to a few conclusions about this chaos of mine. One is that it is fairly inevitable. It seems to come in regular cycles, no matter how hard I try to stave it off. Maybe it's the stage of life I am in, or the kind of person I am. Whatever the reason, it comes, and I don't seem to be able to do anything about it. But more than that, I've realised that this chaos of mine is not all bad. Crazy, unexpected and wild things come out of chaos. Think of Genesis, our most important beginning story. Chaos was that formless yet pregnant state, just before the most incredible act of creation.
Right now the girls are playing with string behind me in the lounge. At first they had it tied up and were doing the limbo. Then they turned it into a washing line and got the pegs and dolls clothes and strung them up. So now the dolls' clothes (which we laboured over in the bedroom this morning,) are strewn across the lounge. There is string from one side of the room to the other, stretched over the two bar stools and held down with precarious-looking piles of books. But those two girls are happy, satisfied with their playing, and I'm happy too. I'm sitting writing.
The thing about chaos is that it is often made up of millions of "should do's." I should have clean windows. I should put the washing away. I should have done that filing by now. I should be doing the tax return. I should be able to keep the house cleaner. But "should do's" are the biggest time wasters. Not only do they rarely get done, but all the energy they take up in "not getting done" is energy robbed from the things that really matter.
So I'm doing my best to kick out the "should do's". I haven't got time for them anymore. I'm going to try and get on with my "want to's" and "can do's." Regardless of the chaos. Of course there will always be "must do's", but they seem to get done, eventually. No, it's the "want to's" and "can do's" I'm giving my heart to.
So I'm following my own advice. I'm sitting here writing at quarter to five, ignoring the mess and the dishes and barely sparing a thought for dinner. Those three girls are back in the bedroom, door shut, with a bowl of frozen peas. And I'm smiling, the happiest I've been all week. True story!
Friday, September 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Imagine being all alone every day with no one to talk to, with a spotless house, organised office and nothing to do. Of course that'd be great for a week or so, but I'm sure we'd much prefer to live with the chaos! Wouldn't it be great if all of the people with nothing to do all day were matched up with chaotic households, and they came and cleaned the windows for free!
ReplyDeleteYou capture the experience of chaos to it's essence. I have tears in my eyes; tears of someone understanding and voicing my experience. My list of undone housework is long and I just hear my children waking now. I am bracing myself for a jumbly day of hacking coughs, rainy outsides and too much unfolded washing.
ReplyDeleteAllie - I love it! Yes please - where are those people!!!!!! You are so right....thanks for getting it.
ReplyDeleteGabrielle - thanks so much for this commment... you have made my day. Your comment is exactly why I write. "jumbly" is the perfect word for the kind of day you are talking about... I know it so well. I could have written so much more. I think it's so important that we realise that we all have different "can do's" and "want to's" and give each other (and ourselves, more importantly) the grace for that. I grew up in a house that to my memory was always perfectly tidy and clean. That is where many of my "shoulds" come from.
I love this: "Chaos was that formless yet pregnant state, just before the most incredible act of creation."
ReplyDeleteThe worst of my chaos does come when I am pregnant, as I am now. And as Allie points out much of it is the result of that primal creativity: God spoke and said, 'Let there be children,' and Lo, there were children and mess and chaos followed in their footsteps.
Interesting that your "shoulds" come from memories of a tidy house. My childhood house was constantly untidy. I don't know where it comes from, my yearning for tidy rooms and carpets vacuumed more than once every two weeks; but I have a very hard time discerning my "shoulds" from my "wants" when it comes to cleanliness and tidiness. My perfectionist streak constantly wars with my lazy/undisciplined streak and perpetual dissatisfaction ensues.
Melanie - funny, oh yes. "Let there be children" I can hear it now. Love it. So it's futile to try an resist then, isn't it. Children = chaos. Does that mean children are innately more creative than adults? And you are so right about being pregnant.
ReplyDeleteI spent my teenage years feeling jealous of my friends' messier (and somehow more exotic and interesting) houses and wishing we had more piles of books and stuff around the house. Isn't it funny how ideas about cleanliness and order come partly from our personalities. I understand the dissatisfaction you are talking about. That is what I am trying to get over. I want to be able to do enough to be content, and be content with whatever I can do.
In the end, for me, it's all about the tension between chaos and order in creativity. I need just the right amount of both. Is there a recipe out there somewhere? ;)
Children=chaos. Yes! Especially if you are committed to allowing them to be children as opposed to controlling them and forcing them to be something they are not. I think the tendency toward order must be learned but the tendency toward chaos is innate.
ReplyDeleteAre children innately more creative than adults? That's a good question and I'm not sure about the answer. Maybe they are. If God is creativity and children are closer to the kingdom of God, then maybe children are more creative. Or maybe it's just that by the time we become adults we have for various reasons quashed some of our creativity in order to conform to social norms? Creativity can be nurtured or it can be discouraged; but I think it is there from the beginning.
I suspect that creativity and chaos must exist in a kind of perpetual tension. Creativity is the process of bringing order out of chaos but the creative process itself is inherently a bit chaotic. Too much order squelches creativity.
And especially when it comes to children's art projects. Perfect order would involve never getting out the paints in the first place. But once you get out the paints (or playdough or crayons or whatever) then you are bound to have a mess. The question is at what point does chaos prohibit creativity?
Wow this all makes me feel vaguely better about my messy house. I can always tell myself I'm just encouraging my children's creative side.
ahhhhh such wonderful words... I sit here at the computer in silence.. mess everywhere but I swear I have cleaned this room 3 times this week... I have come to the realization that I can't keep chaos away for long.... and when she is away, as she is now.... I miss her to bits... you know who my chaos is lol!!! ahhhh love you Ro x xx
ReplyDeleteMelanie - "the question is at what point does chaos inhibit creativity?" - exactly. But maybe that point is much further along than we think. When I think to myself "I can't write until I see clear space around me" maybe that's not actually true. Maybe I could just sit down at my laptop and write anyway... What would solve everything would be a little room (of my own) that I could ignore the chaos and escape to. It would always be just as tidy as I left it. I can dream... That makes me think that maybe this is partly about having a "domain" (for want of a better word.) The fact that we have rooms that are ours, but we can't control them. And you are right about letting children be children, we wouldn't have it any other way. You should see the mess that Abigail has made right now trying to climb up next to me while I sit here on the couch! Thanks for the conversation... I am even more resolved to enjoy the mess!
ReplyDeleteRo - thank-you. Yes we know your chaos and we love her too!!