Meet our stove. It looks pretty innocuous, right, a very ordinary stove. But don't be deceived. This stove is a menace. I've been cooking on this stove for nearly four months now, since we moved here in June, and I can tell you, this stove is nasty!
Let me tell you why. Only one element can actually be turned down. The other three just burn and burn. The largest one in particular gets so hot that I'm scared I'll hurt myself. And it's only got one setting. Burning hot. It turns off, but it will not turn down.
In the first weeks after we moved here I swore a lot in the kitchen. I even cried a couple of times. Every pot we own now has black on the bottom. I've burnt everything from rice to potatoes, eggs and even the onion and carrot I was trying to sweat to make soup. Tell me how am I supposed to cook something on a low heat when none of the elements produce a low heat?
I can tell you I've tried everything. I've had two elements on at the same time, one being small and therefore slightly (slightly!) cooler than the other, and I've moved the pot from one to the other. I've tried every element and every setting on every element, going through all the options in case I'd missed the magic combination. I've even resorted to standing in front of the stove and lifting the pan about fifteen centimetres off the element and cooking that way. (It still cooks!) Everything boils over at some point, so the trays under the element are covered in black and often with a little pool of old cooking water that burns up the next time I use that element and stinks the house out.
So after the first two months we realised the stove had to go, and we started making plans to buy a new one. Now, sitting in the kitchen next to the said stove, is a second hand but shiny and beautiful stove. It's gas top and electric oven, it's big, and it's getting installed today. We won't know ourselves!
When I finally got to show mum how bad our stove was she couldn't believe we'd put up with it so long. I told another friend about it and her reaction was the same. "It must drive you mad!" was her reaction, or something along those lines.
The funny thing is that after I admitted how bad that stove was, and once we'd decided to eventually get a new one, the stove stopped making me mad. I even stopped swearing about it (mostly!) The food was still burning, and the pots were still turning black, but it didn't get to me anymore. I just expected it.
I was thinking about this one day this week, on a day when Abigail was being particularly trying. It was one of those days where she was climbing on the tables, opening the fridge and helping herself to a glass of milk, getting the bread out and trying to make her own lunch, and throwing the girls' best coloured pencils all over the floor. It was the kind of day that when Paddy wakes up from his day's sleeping and comes out to see us the first thing he hears from my mouth is "that baby is driving me nuts!"
But somehow, in the midst of cleaning the honey off the floor, and picking up the coloured pencils for the umpteenth time, my frazzled brain managed to make the connection between my frustration with Abigail and my frustration with the stove. And I realised I'd started to feel like Abigail, that sweet two year old of mine, was my enemy.
Now I was smart enough to know, once I'd figured that much out, that there was no point in going down that track. If I continued to see that two year old as the source of all my problems and frustration I would only end up more frustrated, and she would probably end up on the unfortunate end of a fair bit of venting. And that wouldn't be fair on her.
So I'm adjusting my expectations. I'm no longer surprised when she chucks the girls' pencils all over the floor. I hardly blink when she grabs a glass and helps herself to water out of the water dispenser. I merely make a murmur of disapproval when she helps herself to the milk and pours it, half into the cup and half on the floor. And I now know that she's capable of getting herself a slice of bread from the fridge and helping herself to the pourable honey from the pantry. These things no longer take me by surprise. And I'm reminding myself that she won't be two forever.
Frustration can be blinding. We rarely think straight when we are frustrated. And frustration leads to resentment and resentment becomes a weight that's very hard to shift. It makes us desperate for a scape goat, desperate to lay the blame somewhere, because if we are going to feel this bad we might as well have a good reason for it.
That stove wasn't my enemy, it was just a malfunctioning stove, and Abigail's not my enemy either, of course. She's just a very determined two year old, who will only be two for eight more months. Right now I should be giving her breakfast, but she wouldn't let me put her in the high chair. She wanted to join in the with the big girls' game of school. So she sat down on a little chair in front of them and turned the pages of an old biology text book, and talked to herself about "buzzy bees." Then while I was writing this she came over to the servery behind me, reached up and grabbed Isobella's bowl of half-eaten cereal, and pulled up a chair. She's sitting next to me eating it now with an adult size spoon, and the milk is going all the way down her front and onto the chair. At least I'm not surprised!
Thank you for this. I need desperately to remember that Sophie and Ben are not the enemy. I get so frustrated with them but they are just small children who can't control themselves. It is especially hard I think when Sophie has two younger siblings. It fools me into thinking she's more mature than she really is. She doesn't look like a baby like Anthony does and so I don't expect her to act in the irrational way that babies do. But for all her verbal ability, emotionally she is still very much closer to Anthony than to me. I need to cultivate an attitude of compassion for her, to feel sympathy for her in her own frustrations instead of feeling like they are a weapon aimed at me. I like your stove analogy and hope I can remember it when it will be useful.
ReplyDeleteI don't think there's any frustration that can match the frustration of dealing with small children. Especially when they are frustrated themselves. I've started to think about Abigail's behaviour in terms of her needs. Ie. what does she need right now that is causing her this frustration, disappointment, rage! I've figured out (finally) that sometimes she's actually bored. Other times she gets angry because she can't be doing what her sisters are doing, and maybe her need then would be to be included, or to be stimulated? I think that the years between two and four are so difficult, it's like they are the equivalent or the foreshadowing of the teenage years!!!! Oh no!!!!!! There is so much they can do, and yet, so much that they can't. And they want so desperately to be understood. I'm glad you liked the analogy, I hope I remember it too... ;)
ReplyDeleteAll too often my problem is that what Sophie needs is something I can't give her at the moment: my undivided attention. She wants me to put down the fussy baby to hold her and cut up her food and spoon feed her. Or she wants me to get up in the middle of the night to tuck her into her bed when I'm nursing Anthony and he's almost asleep but needs another minute to be sure he won't wake up and scream when I put him down.
ReplyDeleteThat's true for all of them really. I'm stretched too thin and I can't give them all what they want when they want it and they are too young to wait patiently.
The moments of highest frustration for me are usually when more than one child has a pressing need and is in meltdown mode and I just freeze because I can't stand to let one cry while I take care of another. Especially when I'm hungry and/or tired myself. Lunch time and just before dinner are particularly bad because I'm as cranky as they are. Most of the time, though, I could probably avoid the worst of it by feeding them and myself before we hit the too hungry to function point. But sometimes errands keep us out or I get distracted and then it all goes to hell in a handbasket.
But you are right, if I stop and think in terms of compassion for their needs I can sometimes avoid going into a false crisis mode.
And I agree that it often seems like the foreshadowing of the teenage years. Eeek! I can see just what Sophie will be like and it isn't pretty.