It starts the night before, when I measure two cups of porridge into the pot and cover it with four cups of water and a splash of vinegar. I set the table then too, just the placemats and spoons usually, and then the candle in the middle of the table. The floor around the table may be covered with toys, there might be books all over the couches just out of frame, and there's often a load of washing drying in front of the window, but the table is clear. The book is the piece de resistance. It sits invitingly at my place setting. The girls know what it means now. In the morning I cook and then pour the porridge. Both kinds of milk go in jugs on the table, as does the brown sugar. I serve the sugar, they serve the milk. I light the candle, we pray, and then we eat, and while we eat, I read.
This isn't anything like how we used to do homeschooling. I longed to find a rhythm for our days but it eluded me. I was too busy trying to "fix" my biggest girl, convinced I could get her "ready" for school, whenever that was going to happen. But I realised while she was at school last year that there is no easy fix. Her brain is brilliant and wayward, usually at the same time. This was confirmed by the assessment we had done just recently. So we have returned to homeschooling again completely free. There is no fixing needed. What is needed is what we have in abundance; time and freedom.
I read this incredible post about rhythm and order in January, just at the time we decided to give up school for good. It baffled me and wooed me at the same time. Candles at breakfast? We never eat in darkness, not even in the middle of winter. Setting the table so it looks beautiful? We had eaten breakfast in the kitchen pretty much the whole time the girls were at school last year, them at the little kids table and chairs, me standing up, yelling at them to hurry up between mouthfuls. But the author's thesis was simple, and it rang true; "...stop trying to order the child, and bring order and beauty to the environment."
I don't know how to express to you that I've never seen myself as one of those mothers. One of those mothers who make beautiful things and have beautiful things and have children who make beautiful things. (That's another story in itself.) I looked at that table set with candles in the post linked to above and half scoffed. Me? Create something beautiful? That was the kind of thing those mothers did. But then I found myself putting my favourite candle in the centre of the table one night before I went to bed. The table was clear, and I realised it would be so simple to lay out the place mats now, that I'd be silly not too. We'd already started reading together at breakfast time, but putting the book at my place setting, well, that came in an inspired rush and before I knew it I had made something beautiful. A place for us to gather at the start of the day, a place that would draw us, woo us in. And it does.
I wrote yesterday about Lent, the journey I have set off on. Even since I wrote those words a picture is becoming clear. The fruit of this journey I am on will be seen in the rhythm we find, and the freedom that waits. Lent for me this year is my un-learning. Un-learning the habits gathered like dust under eleven complicated years of marriage. Lent will be my re-building. Which will become the re-building of us all.
What a truly beautiful post. I can't tell you how it blessed me to read this and be re-inspired myself towards continuing the building and re-building. (It never stops!) Bless you. You have indeed made something beautiful here and your lovely spirit shows through in your words.
ReplyDeleteTonia, I don't know what to say. Your words are so kind! I am sorry I never introduced myself - I am a lurker of the first degree. I will go and remedy that now. Thank you very much.
ReplyDeletejust so beautiful. thank you for this today.
ReplyDeleteAimee, Thank you very much for reading. I love your pictures :)
ReplyDeleteOh how inspiring you are!!
ReplyDeleteI can so relate to your words about not being *that* mother... the one that makes all things beautiful. But look at the simple beauty you have crafted to be experienced at the beginning of each day! I love it! My friend does this, and since coming back from her house (on holiday), I have started to do it too.... and what a difference.... what a difference!
I, too, have struggled with what structure and routine should look like in my home. I believe in both of those things, structure AND routine... but I find that they look very different in my home than I thought they would.... and yet, it is good.
Thank you for sharing! What a lovely blog.. so glad I found it from Tonia's site. :)
Blessings,
Kara
Kara, thank you very much! I really relate to what you say about structure and routine looking different to what you thought they would. We really do have to find our way in all of this, and sometimes that takes a bit of courage, and the willingness to make mistakes. I'm looking forward to reading your words too... I love the conversation you are having about Radical. I have so much to learn...
ReplyDelete