I am an eye. I open, and I see
everything. I close, and I am safe. My eyelashes are angels wings, they cover
me.
I went away, I went up high. I
looked out through the black sky and saw the tiny lights of another whole
country. I looked out and saw myself. I was myself.
I came back, and I saw all the
dust that had fallen into my eye, blocked my light, caused me pain. The dust
was from another time. It was not part of this one. I said good-bye to it, I
made my needs clear.
Then Paddy and I stood before
each other in the same place we exchanged rings eleven years ago. We left those rings behind, traded old vows for new, and marked ourselves, in pain, with a
ring that can never be taken off. Our new vows were etched into our skin, in a
band of belonging. We belong to each other.
And how we will treat each other
in this new now is quite different to how we treated each other before.
There will be no taking for granted,
no leaning on each other for things we can do for ourselves, no more
suffocating each other with our insecurities, no more silence that only makes
temporary peace. No, we are speaking for
ourselves now, standing on our own two feet, side by side to face the world. We
will be each other’s greatest champion, we will watch each other soar.
Those rings we wore the first
time, they were easy to attain. We booked the church, got dressed in our
finest. We paraded each other around like we had won a great prize, thinking finally I must be worth something. But the finery was only skin deep.
Underneath our wounds were gushing. No ring could bandage them.
The marks we wear now were not so
easy. They are spoils of war, the treasures hidden in darkness. They are not
pretty, they do not shine. But they are our most valuable possession, worth
more than all the gold and silver in the world.
inspiring you two. you are right... its a great commitment to say i choose you again and still. xxx yay you guys,beautiful. Vix
ReplyDeletethank you!! xox
DeleteThat's really quite lovely xx
ReplyDeleteOh Leonie, if only you knew... lovely is not quite the word I would use!!!!!! Ha!!! Just wait till you read the long version.... there is a lot more ugliness than I've written here... but it was all worth it.
DeleteAnd I should tell you that you are actually part of this story because of the comment you left way back about being a highly sensitive person. It is so true, you really got me thinking. So thank you.
Delete