Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Christmas Wish for You


Kissing the Face of God
by Morgan Weistling

I've been thinking a bit about Advent as this month has sped by.  I've been reading about how other families manage to make Christmas a meaningful season, not just one intense day.  I've been thinking about seasons and how we have lost our connection with them in many ways.  I wanted to somehow bring together these thoughts and start making Christmas more reflective, more evenly paced, and less shopping mall-fueled.  Well, I guess good ideas have to start somewhere, small.  We've had a few lovely moments with the girls, started a couple of new traditions in a very haphazard way... but my hope that this Christmas would be different has been largely overtaken by the realities of tiredness, busy-ness and the ordinary stuff of life.  Right now I'm very tired after staying up too late wrapping presents and being woken up too early by small people.   My focus for today and tomorrow is on lists

But at the same time there is part of me that is still hopeful for next Christmas, (at least we get opportunities for improvement!) and is relishing the chance right now to reflect on all of this. And I realise as I write that in this one moment, in a small way, I am doing what I wanted to do all along.  

So my wish for you is that you get a moment like this for yourself.  A moment when you realise you are doing what you most wanted to do this Christmas.   When that moment comes, savour it.   Remember it.  And take it with you into the New Year.  Take it with you through into 2010 and let it make its mark on your plans, your dreams, your lists.  That way Christmas isn't just one day.... 

Take care and enjoy Christmas.  Thanks for your friendship and support... and thanks for reading!



4 comments:

  1. Thank you Idoya. I always wish for Christmas to be different and more meaningful each year, and am usually disappointed to the extent that now I try to avoid Christmas until the very last minute. But your words are true. I have done what I wanted this Christmas - I met with my dear friends yesterday - and shared in giving and receiving the most important thing to me, love! Thank you for helping me to reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allie.... I so know what you mean. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe in June next year, uhm, no, I mean this year, we should remind each other to think ahead and plan for Christmas? For on Christmas Eve I thought how nice it would be to just be comfortable at home or spend the day at the beach instead of rushing and shopping. I'm sure I thought the same thing the previous year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes i know what you mean... we should remind each other... :)

    ReplyDelete