
Greer loves balloons. She got given a beautiful blue one at the beginning of the week. On Monday she took it onto the deck. "Don't bring your balloon outside Greer, or it will blow away," we said. "Ok" said Greer, and she turned to walk back inside. Then suddenly she lifted up her arms and tossed it into the air. And then it was done. The balloon was gone. Tears and sobs.
So we told stories. Your balloon has gone on an adventure Greer. It has floated way up high into the clouds and now it's flying. That balloon is saying hello the birds. It might even be going to places you've never seen. Like other cities, other contries even. Suddenly we were all caught up in the wonder of this adventuring balloon. Oh the limitless possibilites! Except for Greer. Greer was simply distraught. So we changed the story. Your balloon might come back to see you Greer. It might come back at the end of it's journey to tell you everything it saw and did. Well.... it was a nice idea.
Then came Tuesday. Me and Greer were taking out the recycling. Which turned into a little bit of weeding. Which turned into a bit more weeding. Then suddenly I spied something blue in the corner of the garden! The balloon!!!!!!! What rejoicing there was. And ofcourse, we took a photo.
I was smiling inside for a long time after that. I could hardly believe it myself. Did our story come true? Did that balloon go travelling and then come home? Our prodigal balloon? Probably not. But it was a lovely thought.
I kept thinking about balloons. How magical they are, really. We can project onto them all our wanderlust and hankerings for other worlds. Our deepest longings for flight, and escape even. And it makes me very happy to think that in this age of technology, a three-year old still loves balloons.
I totally understand, I love balloons too. In fact I always make sure I have a couple of balloons on hand for days when I need something a bit special. This is a great story, if you add some pictures I'll buy the book :-) Allie
ReplyDeleteoh Allie you made me laugh!!!! :) :) :)
ReplyDeletebut actually it did make me think of a kids' story... :)
ReplyDeleteplease do write a story - it will be a hit!!!!!!
ReplyDelete