Friday, August 6, 2010

Library Stories - Palmerston North City Library

You might have noticed I gave you a wee hint in that post I wrote about coming home from holiday. I found a treasure when we were in Palmerston North, and it gave me the perfect opportunity to indulge in a little fantasy I've been nurturing.  I've had this idea that you might like to hear about random libraries.  An idea that whenever I travel, I can post a story or two about the libraries I find.  I know, libraries.  Mmmm... not everyone loves libraries the way I do.  But I figure, if you are reading this blog then you either love me enough to humour me, or you love words enough that you must appreciate a good library.  And anyway, it's got to have some novelty value, if nothing else. 

So on that note I have the pleasure of introducing to you my very first library story: Palmerston North City Library.  I couldn't have asked for the a better kick-off to this tradition.  See for yourself the wonder that is Palmy's City Library.
















I happened to read last week that John Cleese once said about a visit to Palmerston North "If you ever do want to kill yourself, but lack the courage, I think a visit to Palmerston North will do the trick." !! Palmy does not have a reputation as a must-visit destination, and gets plenty of stick from New Zealanders for being a very ordinary, small and land-locked city. However, I've found a reason better than any to live in Palmerston North: the City Library.

We had a few hours left in Palmerston North before we drove to Napier, and my friend Mels who we were staying with happened to mention that the library was pretty special. So we went to see it - and I'm so glad. It was a revelation. As you can see, the library is big, open, light, and full of interesting and innovative architectural and functional details. Each area was spacious and well-laid out, with very clear and useful signage.  The kids section was tidy, the readers (something I always notice) were organised and stored in easy-to-access bins (rather than being in one messy pile, as they usually are.) There was a toddler's slide, and a playstation!  Now that's how you get the kids to go to the library!

Every where we went there was comfortable furniture to sit and read on.  There were rows of comfy arm chairs on every floor, set up by big windows that looked over the square, and beside them were listening posts for music, so you could read and listen to your choice of music.  One woman had made herself so comfortable that she had taken her shoes off.  If there was ever a good advertisement for a library, that's it!

I think that in another life, I would be quite happy to move to Palmerston North. I would be quite happy to make that library my second home, visit it every day, find myself a quiet corner and sit and write and research to my heart's content.    I can't agree with John Cleese about Palmerston North in the slightest. In fact, I would go so far as to say that in my version of heaven (the theology of which will not be discussed here) there is a library just like this one. Lucky Palmerston North.



10 comments:

  1. ahhh I love libraries too..... lets start a kids library .....Thanks for the insight into Palmy library.... love you Ro x

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! how cool, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such a wondeful review of the Palmy Library Idoya. I feel very privileged to work here and it's great to know that people appreciate what a wonderful facility it is. We also have 4 branch libraries so you might like to visit them next time you are in Palmerston North - they are all quite different from one another and all special in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls, thanks for your lovely comments, as always.
    Joanne - it is a very unexpected privelege to have you reading... there was so much more I could have commented on, like the phones next to the computers to call for help on, and the friendly sign I saw next to the bell on one of the desks encouraging people to wait for assistance, and the helpful young man on the ground floor who noticed I was looking lost and asked if I needed help! A very positive experience all round. If I ever change careers I know where I want to work!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Adoya
    Just checking up on your blog today as I haven't since the first time I did when you sent me your blog address. I wanted to say that I very much enjoy your posts and I wasn't able to comment last time as I wasn't signed in but now that I am I have to tell you that as I briefly scroll through your posts it's unavoidable to conclude that we must become friends as we have so many things in common, it's almost scary! From sharing the same special place as Orama to dreaming about writing a book to considering homeschooling and more. It's kinda freaky! Anyway, I just had to say something and maybe one day soon, if life isn't too busy, a play date for the kids could be arranged? If you haven't checked out my latest post www.elijahmichaelbarnard.blogspot.com
    and I hope you have a great day.
    Eleanor:)

    eleanor_barnard@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you liked our lovely library - I have linked to this post on my blog to share the love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it.. who took the photos... quite an artist

    ReplyDelete