Then I watched the news. Japan, Japan, a week later and we are still crying for you. I watched a news story about a husband looking for his wife. He looked through list after list, read hundreds and hundreds of names. She wasn't on the list of the dead, and she wasn't on the list of the living. He told the story of how she had driven away from the Tsunami towards her cousin's house with their two children, and jumped out of the car just in time to hand the children over before the wave swept her away. What a mother. Did she have time to feel even a moment of relief? She did what every mother hopes to God they would be able to do in such an awful moment.
So that St Patrick's Day post was overtaken with tears for a country who needs as many St Patricks as it can get. It's not very postmodern of me to say so, and I know most of you don't want me to get all fundamentalist on you, but I can't help it, it's my heart's cry. St Patrick for Japan.
St Patrick wrote a prayer that he apparently prayed every morning. I love this prayer. If I was only ever going to pray one prayer, this would be it.
The Lorica of St Patrick
I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through a belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation.
I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of the earth,
Firmness of the rock.
I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's hosts to save me
From snares of the devil,
From temptations of vices,
From every one who desires me ill,
Afar and anear,
Alone or in a mulitude.
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.
I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through a belief in the Threeness,
Through a confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation.
This excerpt is from the Catholic website EWTN.

That is a lovely post and an amazing prayer. I think I might print it out and stick it beside my bed. Thank you. Lou X
ReplyDeleteThe story of that mother pulls at me. Oh for such bravery in the moment!
ReplyDeleteSt Patrick for Japan. Oh that's exactly it! I've been praying not in those words but in that spirit ever since I heard the news. I've been thinking of Japan and Christianity quite a bit in the past year because of several books I've been reading. I feel like that's been one of my particular prayer intentions, praying for Japan's conversion. Oh for a powerful apostle like Patrick!
Lou - thanks - and for the tag too... you got me thinking about rest and why I'm going to bed early for Lent... I have some words... problem is going to bed early doesn't give me much time to write!
ReplyDeleteMelanie - yes, what a mother. I wonder what it will be like for those kids growing up knowing she saved their lives. Wow. I'd be interested to know what books you've been reading. I've realised since the earthquake how little I really know about Japan.
I wonder how much it will depend on the adults around them and how they tell them the story... whether it will be a gift or a burden. I can imagine a story that does either. How much power in the stories we tell ourselves and that we tell each other! I pray, of course, that her sacrifice will be a great gift for them, a blessing to know how well they were loved.
ReplyDeleteI think I've blogged about most of the books I've read. But probably the entries are scattered. First was Silence by Shusaku Endo, a novel about 17th century missionaries to Japan.
Then there was The Bells of Nagasaki by Takashi Nagai an account of the bombing of Nagasaki by a survivor (and Catholic convert). And the biography of Nagai, A Song for Nagasaki, by Paul Glynn. And currently I'm reading another book by Nagai, Leaving My Children Behind. This one is heart wrenching and seems eerily appropriate right now. Nagai's wife was killed in the initial blast and he contracted leukemia because of radiation poisoning. He contemplates what it will mean for his children to be orphaned.
Since reading books by and about Nagai, I've actually begun to wonder if he might not at some point be declared a saint. His prolific writings were a profound witness of faith and courage and love.
I find myself wanting to read much more about Japan but not sure where else to go from here. I'm especially interested in accounts of Catholics in Japan so maybe I'll search for an account of the Japanese martyrs.