Today at church our Pastor spoke about the Annunciation. The moment right at the beginning of the Christmas Story where the angel Gabriel visits Mary and tells her she is going to give birth to Jesus. This story has always been meaningful to me. I am in awe of Mary's willingness. Her initial incredulity at the angel's words melts into obedience. Be it unto me according to your word, she says. There is no passivity here, her vow must have come from a steely resolve she somehow found within her. I want that. A selection of paintings of the Annunciation were shown, and some of them were beautiful. But none of them moved me like this one I found tonight in this post about preparing for Advent.
Last year I bumbled my way through Advent, thrilled to have found an antidote to the commercialism of Christmas, but a complete novice. This year I'm still making it up as I go along, but I feel like I'm being re-united with an old friend, one who I liked the instant we met, and who I'm chuffed to be seeing again. I'm having fun discovering and creating traditions that are uniquely "us." The girls are so excited about Advent. We lit our first candle tonight, read the story of the Annunciation from Luke, and wrote some prayers together. It took us to way past a reasonable bedtime, which meant that it was growing dark. I walked into the dining room after tucking the girls in and the glow of one small candle changed everything.
But I've found myself not just thinking of our family traditions, but myself, and what I want to get out of this season. Karen Edmisten, in the post I linked to above, writes, As Advent unfolds, you're savouring the liturgical season, you're teaching your children about watching, waiting, and preparing for the Lord. But what are you doing for yourself? Her words challenged me to ask myself the same question. What do I want to ponder on as I wait? How will I contemplate what is to come? What will my priorities be in this potentially crazy season?
I don't think this kind of reflection is only for the religiously-minded. Anyone that wants to avoid a Christmas that's filled with stress and exhaustion would do well to pause and consider what lies ahead. Or else, as my pastor said today, you end up with another "Groundhog Christmas." I've had enough of those.
I've been writing nearly every morning since I told you I was doing NaNoWriMo and trying to write 50,000 words. I've been getting up at 5am, or as close to that as I can manage, and I've never been more content. I feel like I'm finally doing what I was made to do. I've been working on the novel that's been hanging around for almost forever, and I'm making writing a feature of my day. I feel like I've found the life I searched for desperately, knowing it was out there, but never quite found. I won't get to 50,000 words by Tuesday, but I've written 9,000. That's 9,000 more than zero.
What I'm trying to say is that I feel like myself. I'm living my life, not a version of it. Writing, in the active sense, influences my decisions, my priorities, and how I spend my time. It's the thing that makes me me. This all causes me wonder what shape Advent and Christmas will take now that I'm writing. I have a feeling that if I can keep this living-as-myself thing up, everything else will fall into place.

Nice post, Idoya. I like the painting of Mary too. And you're right, we often gloss over what it must have been like for her. I can only imagine!
ReplyDeleteThanks Chris - yes - what must it have been like?? I can imagine... but really I can't imagine!
ReplyDeleteI love your nativity scene. I can't wait to see how it develops. I haven't figured out where to put ours this year where the girls can play with it but Anthony can't reach it. We don't really have an ideal spot. I wish we had the room to let them really create with rocks and greenery and all. I know Isabella would go crazy with it. I suppose I'll file it away as an idea for a future time when we don't have babies and toddlers to destroy it.
ReplyDeleteWill you ever be sharing your fiction writing online? I'm curious as two other friends did NaNoWriMo and one posted each day's writing on her blog as she went and the other shared it in a Google document with a select group of friends. It has been fun to be able to read the work in progress. I don't think I have any talent for fiction, though when I was younger I thought I wanted to write novels. Still, I do enjoy seeing my friends creative processes. In any case, I wish you the best as you write.
Melanie - thanks, I'm really enjoying our nativity scene too... it just came together after I read something at our local Steiner school's advent fair. I couldn't find a good description to link to so I didn't mention it in the post, but it's basically a waldorf idea mixed with what we did last year. there was no grand plan... i'm not that artistic at all... the kids did all the finding... and it turned out lovely. makes me smile when I look at it.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the fiction goes, I feel like I'm nursing a new born. So fragile! When it's a bit bigger and I can really see what this baby is going to grow into, I probably will share, or at least write about it. Thankyou for your good wishes... they mean a lot.