Sunday, November 28, 2010

Advent 101

[kissingfacegod.jpg]


Before you read any further you need to understand two things. One is that I don't take myself too seriously, and the other is that I sometimes think I know what I'm talking about, sound like I know what I'm talking about, but actually have no clue!

That important point out of the way, let's talk about Advent. Last year for the first time I realised that I wanted to make Christmas a more meaningful season, rather than one special day preceded by a month of crazy busy-ness and stressful shopping experiences.  Advent wasn't part of our family Christmas tradition, other than the advent calendar we always had, and it wasn't really talked about in the church I grew up in. I remember loving our Advent calendars though, the thrill of opening each tiny door and the uncontainable excitement that grew and grew as we got closer to Christmas Day.  A couple of years ago I started reading quite a few lovely Catholic blogs (like this one, this one, and this one.) and found that for these families Advent was really important and very special. I liked what I was reading, and last year I decided to try and incorporate some of these ideas into our own celebration of the Christmas season. But I didn't know much about Advent really, and with the busy-ness of the lead-up to Christmas my good intentions faded almost to nothing.

This year, somehow, I feel like I know a bit more. I managed to realise ahead of time that there are four Sundays in Advent (that was a good start!), today being the first, and I've been thinking all week about Advent and how we could celebrate it. I've been looking on a church supplies website at Advent wreaths, and talking to Paddy (who grew up catholic) about Advent. I found a really nice, plain circular wreath online, and showed it to him. I liked that particular one because it had an inscription around the base about light. I love the Advent idea about Christ being the light, and anticipating the coming light. That really means a lot to me. We looked through the other wreaths together, there were more simple ones I liked, but they had "hope, peace, love and joy" as the inscription around the base. "That's just not very advent-y" I said.

Well, my husband looked at me and roared with laughter. "You have no idea about Advent!" he said laughing, and then he laughed some more. I tried not to look silly. "But I thought Advent was about the Christ being the light" I said in my defence. More laughter. And then he (who was once an altar boy) proceeded to educate me.

So that is why I need Advent 101. I have no clue. At least I've figured out what the each of the Sundays in Advent are about now (today is Hope, then Peace, Love and the last Sunday is Joy, funny that...) and I think we'll do something together as a family around dinner time on each of the four Sundays. What we'll actually do I'm not too sure, I've got a few ideas, but I'm kind of making it up as we go along. Here are a few links if you're interested:

First up is Karen Edmisten's No-Panic Advent series
This post has plenty of ideas about Advent Calendars and Wreaths
This is a really lovely piece about Welcoming Baby Jesus
there are some beautifully simple ideas here
and this link is to a selection of basic kids colour-in pages relating to Advent. I'm going to print some of them out and make them into Advent colouring in books for the girls.

I think it's fair to say that we'll definitely be doing a low-church version of Advent, and I think that's quite appropriate given my complete ignorance! But I'm really looking forward to celebrating Jesus now, not just on Christmas day. In fact, I can feel it in my stomach as I write, a happy butterfly expectation, a bubbling waiting to burst. You might have noticed I don't write about my faith all the time here, but in truth I am a religious nutter... in the best possible sense. You have been warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment