Thursday, March 8, 2012
precious
It was this little guy's first day in the world yesterday. He was born on Tuesday night and I got to be the lucky photographer. I can't think of anything more special than getting to see my newest nephew make his unforgettable entrance into the world.
I don't do pushing, I do caesareans, and that breaks my heart. My sister, however, is the full monty birthing mama. It was her fourth, and she went into labour in the afternoon, got to the hospital after dinner, and gave birth in the pool at quarter past eight. She had a bit of help from the gas, but it was all her work. This precious boy came out in one push.
I think they're both incredible. The photo above is testament. Literally minutes before this photo was taken that boy was inside her, tucked up in darkness. Then together, a team, they propelled him down and out into the bright light of life on the outside. She held him close, the cord that fed him still attached, and in that moment you see there, he opened his eyes.
What's even more amazing is that this little guy might not have been here at all if my sister and her husband had taken popular opinion into consideration when they got pregnant. Popular opinion would have said that it wasn't the right time, that another baby would stretch their already limited resources just too far. I'm so grateful that they made up their own minds. I can't see anything but hope and new beginnings when I look into the face of that little boy. As well as an entire person, a whole world of thoughts and dreams and talents hidden within.
I'm not saying it's all perfect. My sister is heading down into the shadow land of life with a new born. Where days can be as dark as they are filled with light. She doesn't need to do anything for lent, she will be living it, twenty four hours a day. Every bit of her strength and sanity will be tested, over and over again.
And then, before she knows it, she'll be planning his twenty-first birthday party. Just like that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
wow what a cutie! How special to be there. Big hugs to Joy and Dan from me. A real blessing from God for them and the wider family!
ReplyDeleteI will pass that on... yes he is so so gorgeous. I have to find me a baby Mels... I'm telling you... we all want a baby...
ReplyDeletedoes a cambodian one work? perhaps i should start looking.....
DeleteHa!!!!! You read my mind!!!!!!!!! I was actually going to say something along those lines but I thought I'd better be sensible seeing as this is the internet!!
ReplyDelete