We are on the last leg of our mad dash to finally get our renovations finished. We had already booked in some time off for us to get started on the painting, but we were launched into action when we saw a property out west that we fell in love with. The possibility of putting this place on the market got us moving like I've never seen us move before! We painted, got the floors sanded and polished, had carpet laid in the bedrooms, and finally got the tiling finished in the kitchen. And, just as we were almost finished, we missed out on that house we loved.
It was a disappointment and a relief at the same time. If you'd seen this place yesterday (I tried to take a photo but I couldn't find my camera, ofcourse) you would agree with me that the vague plan we'd had of putting the house on the market yesterday, the same day the carpet was laid, was completely ridiculous. Which brings me to facebook and the myers-briggs personality profile application I signed up for. Every couple of weeks it sends me a pithy little tip based on my personality profile. This is what I found waiting for me yesterday:
"You may create overly optimistic plans without considering all the details. Realistically estimate how long a task will take."
I think my dad would have a good chuckle over that one. He single-handedly saved the day yesterday when he turned up at 7:15am to finish the job he was doing for us. He got Paddy out of bed (no mean feat) and then helped him move the last of the big pieces of furniture that needed shifting before the carpet layers turned up at 8am! And when I say the last of the big pieces of furniture, you should probably read all the big pieces of furniture.
I am very happy that we managed to get it all done. The house is looking lovely already, even with boxes and piles of stuff all over the place. We were crazy to attempt to do it in such a short space of time, and at such short notice, and we did need a lot of help to do it. The girls and I turned up at my mum's on Sunday night at 7pm because our place was too chaotic and dusty for the girls to stay there. My dad, as I've said, came up trumps. Other family members and friends helped out not only because they love us but also because our ridiculous plan left them with little choice! We were on a mission, and there was no stopping us.
Now that we're almost finished I'm so exhausted I can't believe I actually know what day it is! We've shifted almost the entire contents of our house at least once, if not twice, so it kind of feels like we've moved house, minus the truck drive. But I guess if we were hankering for something new we've certainly done it the easy way. Sure, our little back yard is nothing like the 2 acres of bush we were looking at in that property we missed out on, but we do like our little backyard, and our little house with it's shiny new floors and white tiles. After all, it's home.
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
And that home has the most wonderful family living life inside and out! Love Ro x
ReplyDeleteand you have the best across the road neighbours!
ReplyDeleteSorry you missed out on the dream house but, being selfish, also glad you're not moving. :-)
ReplyDelete